“Dimensions” is a Discussion Group that takes place on the second Wednesday of each month at Common Root Mutual Aid Center, 3140 O St in Lincoln, from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. This discussion group is free and open to the public for any who wish to talk about issues relating to the LGBTQ+ and alternative relationship/lifestyle experience.
Our February 10th “dimension” will focus on spirituality or lack thereof and the role it plays in one’s personal identity.
In some people’s lives, spirituality is the guiding factor in understanding more about one’s self. In others lives’, spirituality has been a hamper for finding one’s personal truths.
We will explore the pros and cons of spirituality and the lack of spirituality and how both shape our identity.
All are welcome to share thoughts, feelings, and personal stories.
The following is a basic outline of the concepts and ideas that will be explored in this discussion group. Please note, that the order of these may change.
* Spirituality vs. Religion – The differences and the connections between the two.
* Exploration of religious denominations that are in support and are against LGBTQ identities and alternative lifestyles and their reasoning. How this support or lack of support can affect’s one’s identity and one’s spirituality.
* Personal stories from those who identify as spiritual.
* Personal stories from those who do not identify as spiritual.
* Reasons and ways spirituality shapes one’s identity (gender, sexual orientation, lifestyle choices, etc.)
* Reasons and ways spirituality does not shape one’s identity. (Perspective lacking spirituality.)
* Pros and cons that spirituality shapes one’s identity.
* Pros and cons that lack of spirituality shapes one’s identity.
* Reflections of the discussion.
A gentle disclaimer:
Although religion is a central piece of personal identity, and it would be nearly impossible to talk about spirituality without mention of religion, the primary focus will be on the core concept of spirituality, and/or the lack thereof.
There are no right or wrong answers for this discussion and the purpose of this discussion is to explore concepts and ideas. This discussion is not meant for converting others or shaming anyone or their beliefs.
Please bring an open mind and an open heart. We are all here to help one another understand, learn and grow.
Finally, if you are unable to attend the group but would love to bring up some ideas or share your story, please feel free to post here on this event page!
It would be wonderful to see you there!